Sixth killing in six days as man, 20, is stabbed to death outside Stockwell nursery

A young man was stabbed to death outside a nursery in broad daylight yesterday in the capital’s sixth murder in six days.

The 20-year-old was found with knife wounds in Stockwell, south London at around 2.50pm.

Police and paramedics battled to save him as his mother arrived at the scene outside a homeless hostel and Stockwell Gardens Nursery, which was visited by the Duchess of Cambridge earlier this year.

A staff member said: “The children did not see anything they were unaware of what was happening out front. The parents picked up at a door at the back of the building.”

Pastor Lorraine Jones, who held and comforted the victim’s mother, said: “She just lost her son. I saw a police officer in the most gentle way apologise that she couldn’t be by his side.

“This officer from Brixton tried to do CPR to save his life and he’s apologising to the mother that he died.”

A resident said: “There was a big group screaming and crying it was horrible to hear. The stabbing happened near a nursery and a halfway house or hostel for homeless people.

“It’s a complete shock to us we have had no issues as such around here.”

A witness said: “There were people consoling each other at the scene. It was right near the nursery. There has been some petty crime and lads hanging around in the alley next to the nursery but nothing on this scale.”

Forensics officers were today trawling for clues at the scene with homicide detectives seeking witnesses. There have been no arrests.

Chief Superintendent Colin Wingrove, commander for Lambeth and Southwark, said: “This is a horrific incident and our thoughts are with the victim’s family, who have lost a loved one in such tragic circumstances.”

Jeremy Gray, CEO at the housing project Evolve, said: “We are deeply shocked and saddened by the tragic death of one of our young residents yesterday afternoon, following an incident which took place on a neighbouring estate in Stockwell.

“We extend our sincere sympathies and condolences to his family, friends and fellow residents at our service.

“We are supporting our colleagues, with additional management presence, and our Psychological Wellbeing therapists are also there today to support residents and staff at this time.

“The police are investigating the incident and we are cooperating fully with their enquiries.”

It came as tributes were paid today to an “inspirational” engineering graduate who was stabbed to death outside his home shortly before 1am on Sunday.

Nahid Ahmed, 26, was found dead in the car park below the block of flats in Enfield where he lived with his mother and two-year-old sister.

Witnesses said Mr Ahmed had been involved in an argument with a neighbour about his BMW.

His family said he had been due to start a £50,000-a-year job in logistics with a major aviation firm before the Covid-19 pandemic led to the position being axed.

Mr Ahmed then applied for a national security role and was in the final stages of the recruitment process, his uncle Mo Hussain said.

Mr Hussain, 40, added: “He helped everybody and lived for his family. His mum and sister were at home when it happened. It’s heartbreaking.”

Mr Ahmed studied engineering at university before spending four years working in logistics and ground operations for BA at Heathrow and City airports.

Mr Hussain said his nephew was “very successful and hardworking. Everything he had he got himself.

“After his dream job disappeared he pulled himself up and applied to work on a very sensitive job which required lots of interviews and vetting. He was near the end of the process. He was an inspiration to everyone.”

Mr Ahmed also did voluntary work with his uncle on projects to help young people stay away from violence.

Mr Hussain said his Arsenal-loving nephew played seven-a-side football for fun and had a close group of friends.

He said: “He was a loyal person and much loved by everyone. His mother had lost her only son. It’s too much for her to bear.”

Mr Ahmed’s neighbours also paid tribute. One said: “He was a real hard worker and was friendly to everyone. He strived to be the best in every way.”

A 43-year-old man appeared in custody at Highbury Corner magistrates’ court yesterday charged with murder.